Tuesday, November 25, 2008

IOW: Living Thankfully

In Other Words is being hosted by Deborah @ Chocolate & Coffee. Visit her to find more posts and to link your own post about today's quote below.
Photobucket
You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. --Psalm 16:11
How blessed are believers even if the only gift we receive is to take Christ's hand, walk down the path of life, and stand in the presence of Holy God!

Thanklessness
I lived for a time bitter at past hurts, angry at present irritations, and dreading future problems. What a sad excuse for a Christian I was. By that time I had been walking with the Lord for about 13 years. But when I got overwhelmed with day-to-day life, raising children-at times on my own because of my husband's demanding job, I started to grumble and complain and feel sorry for myself. My self-absorbed attitude left me blind to the pleasures God was offering every day in my husband, children, and home.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path. --Psalm 119:105
Revival
My only ladder out of the hole of self-pity I had dug for myself was built with God's word. Each deliberate step I took in reading the Bible, praying the Word, listening to Christian radio broadcasts, and attending a Bible-teaching church, lifted me closer to the path God had planned out for me. It was a very tall ladder--I had dug a very deep hole.
Every word of God is pure;
He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. --Isaiah 40:8
I realize that problems are a part of this post-Eden life we have, but there is always something to thank God for. His gifts are abundantly given.
  • If you woke up this morning
    ---you've been given the gift of life. Find the moments of joy, collect them like treasures: a child's smile, a lover's embrace, a hot cup of coffee, a second of silence...
    THANK HIM
  • If you are able to read this post
    --you've been given a measure of health. Even if you deal with illness or infirmity, today you are not flat on your back...
    THANK HIM
  • If you have a roof over your head, modest or extravagant or somewhere in between
    --you've been given the gift of home, even if it's someone else's roof. The Lord placed you there to do His good will...
    THANK HIM
  • If you have a Bible on your desk or access to one online
    --you've been given a most precious gift - His love letters to you. You have the opportunity right this very minute to hear His words spoken to your heart...
    THANK HIM
  • If you have accepted Jesus as your Savior
    --you've been given THE most precious gift - life with Him forever. No greater gift has ever been given...
    THANK HIM
Come, let us sing to the Lord!
Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come to him with thanksgiving.
Let us sing psalms of praise to him.
For the Lord is a great God,
a great King above all gods.
He holds in his hands the depths of the earth
and the mightiest mountains.
The sea belongs to him, for he made it.
His hands formed the dry land, too.

Come, let us worship and bow down.
Let us kneel before the Lord our maker,
for he is our God.
We are the people he watches over,
the flock under his care.

If only you would listen to his voice today! --Psalm 95:1-7

Father, help me never forget You are the Giver of all good things. Remind me to pray faithfully when things are difficult -- and to pray more faithfully when things are easier. Lead me to celebrate the joy of Your presence in the ordinary events of life so that thankfulness becomes like breathing. For You are worthy of all praise and thanksgiving. Amen.

8 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, beautifully said my friend.

Unknown said...

It should be the prayer of all our hearts to celebrate the joy of His presence in the ordinary of our lives. Thank you for the reminder that our gratitude grows when the mundane becomes majestic.

Laurie Ann said...

So beautifully written! Thanks for reminding us that we can climb out of any pit by God's Word! I loved the Scriptures you used today and how it tied in with your post. Awesome read!

Unknown said...

If you...Thank Him. I am and thanking Him for you and your faithful, authentic witness. Beautifully shared, well done.

Blessings.

Unknown said...

If you...Thank Him. I am and thanking Him for you and your faithful, authentic witness. Beautifully shared, well done.

Blessings.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Oh -- this is nice!
I especially like the "THANK HIM" list. Ya' got everything covered there! amen.

Don't you think that part of the problem of lack-of-thankfulness-in our lives has to do with how we define "joy" and "sorrow?" If everything sad is "sorrow" (and we are UNthankful) and everything that is good in the world's eyes is "joy," (and we are therefore thankful) then we have missed God's idea of LIFE altogether. Life comes will ALL emotions and ALL circumstances. We are to be thankful for ALL of it!

Nice post!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and ALL!
~esthermay
P.S. Is Sue Cramer your sister?

Unknown said...

This is such a wonderful post. We all take so much for granted, forgetting that each day is a miracle. Thanks for the reminder.

AVA

Karen said...

You and I sound like we traveled down the same road. Perhaps at different times or maybe we even crossed along the way. I felt like I was a poor excuse for the Christian until I learned the art and joy of being thankful. It told Satan to buzz off and it told me to keep my eyes on Jesus.