You will show me the path of life;How blessed are believers even if the only gift we receive is to take Christ's hand, walk down the path of life, and stand in the presence of Holy God!
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. --Psalm 16:11
I lived for a time bitter at past hurts, angry at present irritations, and dreading future problems. What a sad excuse for a Christian I was. By that time I had been walking with the Lord for about 13 years. But when I got overwhelmed with day-to-day life, raising children-at times on my own because of my husband's demanding job, I started to grumble and complain and feel sorry for myself. My self-absorbed attitude left me blind to the pleasures God was offering every day in my husband, children, and home.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feetRevival
And a light unto my path. --Psalm 119:105
My only ladder out of the hole of self-pity I had dug for myself was built with God's word. Each deliberate step I took in reading the Bible, praying the Word, listening to Christian radio broadcasts, and attending a Bible-teaching church, lifted me closer to the path God had planned out for me. It was a very tall ladder--I had dug a very deep hole.
Every word of God is pure;I realize that problems are a part of this post-Eden life we have, but there is always something to thank God for. His gifts are abundantly given.
He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. --Isaiah 40:8
- If you woke up this morning---you've been given the gift of life. Find the moments of joy, collect them like treasures: a child's smile, a lover's embrace, a hot cup of coffee, a second of silence...
- If you are able to read this post--you've been given a measure of health. Even if you deal with illness or infirmity, today you are not flat on your back...
- If you have a roof over your head, modest or extravagant or somewhere in between--you've been given the gift of home, even if it's someone else's roof. The Lord placed you there to do His good will...
- If you have a Bible on your desk or access to one online--you've been given a most precious gift - His love letters to you. You have the opportunity right this very minute to hear His words spoken to your heart...
- If you have accepted Jesus as your Savior--you've been given THE most precious gift - life with Him forever. No greater gift has ever been given...
Come, let us sing to the Lord!Father, help me never forget You are the Giver of all good things. Remind me to pray faithfully when things are difficult -- and to pray more faithfully when things are easier. Lead me to celebrate the joy of Your presence in the ordinary events of life so that thankfulness becomes like breathing. For You are worthy of all praise and thanksgiving. Amen.
Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come to him with thanksgiving.
Let us sing psalms of praise to him.
For the Lord is a great God,
a great King above all gods.
He holds in his hands the depths of the earth
and the mightiest mountains.
The sea belongs to him, for he made it.
His hands formed the dry land, too.
Come, let us worship and bow down.
Let us kneel before the Lord our maker,
for he is our God.
We are the people he watches over,
the flock under his care.
If only you would listen to his voice today! --Psalm 95:1-7