Monday, November 10, 2008

Fall Into Flavor: Warm Desserts


S
ince the last thing I was thinking about last Monday was food, I missed Fall into Flavor. Today I'm going to share a couple of my favorite chocolate and/or buttery desserts to make up.


First is my favorite quickie and warm chocolate dessert. It's simplicity and flavor is just what I need on a cool night. My family loves it. It's great with a cup of coffee or a tall icy glass of milk. I like that I can mix it all up in one bowl (without even rinsing between the two parts).



Brownie Pudding

Brownie layer:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp. butter or butter-flavored shortening, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Pudding layer:
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water

  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, white sugar, and 1 tbsp. cocoa. Stir in butter or shortening, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Fold in nuts. Spread mixture in a 1-quart baking dish.
  3. Stir together brown sugar, 1 tbsp. cocoa, and boiling water. Pour carefully over pudding mixture in the baking dish.
  4. Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes, until set.

The brownie ends up on top of the creamy pudding. Scoop into dessert bowl and top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if you like. Makes 6 servings.

The next dessert is one of my favorite for taking to fall and winter gatherings. One year I even made it into cupcakes so everyone could take some home. Very buttery and gooey and sweet!

Kentucky Butter Cake

Make the cake:
1 cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
2 cups of sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring (real, not artificial--it's crucial to get a full flavor!)
3 cups unsifted flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (low-fat is fine, but why bother? The whole point is flavor not weight control with this cake!)
  1. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. Cream butter and sugar.
  3. Beat in eggs one at a time, until mixture is light and fluffy.
  4. Add vanilla.
  5. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
  6. Add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk, mixing until blended.
  7. Pour into a buttered bundt pan. Tap pan lightly on the counter to evenly distribute batter.
  8. Bake at 325F for 60-65 minutes.
Make butter topping:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 tsp. vanilla (again real, not artificial; you can substitute 2 tbsp. rum or brandy here for a more sophisticated flavor)
  1. Combine the ingredients, except vanilla (or rum) in a small saucepan over medium low heat.
  2. Cook, stirring constantly, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
  3. Remove from heat and add vanilla (or rum) until well blended.
Complete the cake:
  1. Remove the cake from the oven.
  2. Prick the cake with a long skewer.
  3. Gently pour a small amount of the sauce over the cake (still in the pan).
  4. Wait a minute for the sauce to be absorbed by the cake and repeat pouring the sauce over the cake until you've used half of the sauce.
  5. Let the cake cool and then turn it out onto a cake plate.
  6. Gently pour a small amount of the sauce over the top and sides of the cake.
  7. Wait a minute for the sauce to be absorbed by the cake and repeat pouring the sauce over the cake until you've used the rest of the sauce.

4 comments:

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

These both sound OH-SO-Bad for me and DH...but I was thinking about looking for my version of the chocolate pudding cake just the other day -- only I like your better 'cause it calls for pecans. YES! Food value and protein in the nuts makes up for the OH-SO-Bad component.

... Do you know how much REAL Vanilla costs? It's not in my November grocery budget. Should I just wait till the next Republican Administration to try this recipe?
:-)
P.S. GLAD you are feeling better! God is Good!

Patricia said...

Love the reasoning...btw, toast the pecans for more flavor.

Yes, real vanilla is expensive. So...I'm going to try Susanne's recipe for Homemade Vanilla (here at Chicken's in the Road). Convinced hubby to take me to the ummm, you know "store"....to get the ingredients. I got to calculating and the cost is much better and I get to make it myself (always a plus in my book).

P.S. Look at the new bumper stickers for 2012 here.

Denise said...

Yummy, thanks for sharing.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow, these both seem like genuine, down-home comfort foods. And I'm blown away by seeing so many recipes this time, including these, that I've never heard of before. Thanks for sharing your stuff!