Monday, November 17, 2008

Fall Into Flavor Finale: Fruit Cocktail Cake

I spent my last two years of high school in Okinawa, Japan. Six months after graduation, I married my dear husband. One of the gifts my mother gave me for my new house (ok, my teeny--tiny--itty--bitty apartment - the stove/oven was just 24 inches wide and not much taller) was a cookbook put together by the ladies of our church.

The front page says:
KOZA BAPTIST CHURCH
OKINAWA, JAPAN
PRESENTS OUR FAVORITE RECIPES
KOZA COOKERY 1981

In honor of the season and in celebration of the 27th anniversary (November 16, 1981) of my legal binding*[see note below]* marriage to my soul-mate, I give you the only fruit cake I really like, from Koza Cookery. (And Linda.... it's quick-easy-and yep, has butter!)

Fruit Cocktail Cake

Mix together:
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Then add:
1 medium-sized can fruit cocktail, juice too

Mix until well-blended. Put in an oblong pan and,

Sprinkle over top:
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup brown sugar

Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes.

Topping:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3/4 cup canned milk

Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add 1 cup shredded coconut. Spread over warm cake and put under broiler until bubbly and brown.

This cake is delicious served warm or cold. You can even heat it up in the microwave (I sneak and eat it for a quick breakfast---if there is any leftover the next day!)


*[Note: In Okinawa, American pastors are not licensed to marry. We had to go through the US consulate and the mayor of Naha City to get legally married. Because of the time it took to get the paperwork done and my husband's status changed from single to married, for pay and other purposes, we did the legal part a month and a half before our church wedding on January 2, 1982. We celebrate both dates because they are both so special to us. During the waiting time from married in the eyes of the government to married in the eyes of God, we got my identification paperwork changed, my husband moved out of the dormitory and into an apartment-December 16, bought a set of dishes, and many other little tasks. It was great fun being secretly married---only my parents and our pastor knew about it.]*


4 comments:

Teresa said...

Interesting recipe (I'm not a fruitcake fan, but this sounds pretty good) and a great story! Happy (legally binding) Anniversary!

Kim said...

I got a kick out of your story. We've been married 29 years and just moved to Argentina. Where they don't recognize marriages from anywhere else. So we're going to be getting married again! :-)
I'll have to try this recipe. Sounds fairly simple and I'm always up for simple!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What a wonderful story to go along with this recipe! I'm telling you, the stories have been as great as the recipes. Patricia, my 86 year-old father will LOVE this cake. Thank you, thank you, for sharing. Love, Linda

Denise said...

Nice story and recipe.