Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday Selah: A Reminder for Refreshing




Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasing God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable.

He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength.

Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall,

But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
The shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint. --Isaiah 40:28-31
I wanted to post today's Selah early...but I found myself heavy with fatigue from the goings on of the whole week. I needed to rest. Thankfully, a little extra sleep and a morning spent with a cup of coffee and the Word have refreshed me for my day ahead.

All week long I have been able to find a little time to spend in the Lord's word...but not in the kind of fellowship I wished to have with Him. So, He slowed me down. Not by anything He did...but by allowing me to overload myself so that I became clumsy and caused a minor accident that sat me down for some time of rest and reflection.

The local Methodist church has a wonderful program for preschoolers and, even though we plan to homeschool our little Dynamo, I love the pastor and his wife so much that I volunteered to my daughter to pay the tuition. Yesterday was I was trying to cram in some tasks while the little guy was at his once-a-week preschool day:

While walking with a bowl of cereal in my hands I grabbed a piece of window frame to lay out for painting (we're refreshing the bathroom a bit). As I did that, I knocked the whole stack to the floor, which tripped me. Out of balance, all my weight came down on my left foot--which stopped my fall on a piece of the frame. The problem: in my hurry to get on with the project I hadn't removed the nails. Sneakered foot + exposed nail = Ouch! And cereal all over the sub-floor of the bathroom.

Instead of painting, I got to clean up the mess, run out to pick up the Dynamo, head over for a tetanus shot (12 years since the last one) and they threw in a flu shot. Then I had to head into town to get Spiderman's (our 19 yr old son) cell phone fixed. By the time I got home, it was time to fix dinner for Mr. Amazing. No rest...no real work accomplished...and I was feeling yucky from the shots and balancing my weight mostly on one leg.

Even though I caused my own exhaustion, the Lord provided rest: Mr. Amazing decided that we should order take-out subs from a local restaurant... Then he went and got them and served me. Now, Friday is his second busiest day on the mail route and he usually comes home very tired...yet God knew I needed rest and gave me this small blessing.

Here is the refreshing devotion I found this morning, so applicable for me this week:

From The Woman's Study Bible:
God can use fatigue:
  1. to cause you to look to Him for satisfaction.

    He said before, "This is the time and place to rest, to give rest to the weary. This is the place to lay down your burden." But they won't listen.

    So God will start over with the simple basics and address them in baby talk, one syllable at a time—"Da, da, da, da, blah, blah, blah, blah. That's a good little girl, that's a good little boy." And like toddlers, they will get up and fall down, get bruised and confused and lost.
    -Isaiah 28:12-13 (The Message)

  2. to administer correction as He pulls back His hand of strength to force your body to slow down for refueling

    "And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: 'My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the LORD loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives.'" -Hebrews 12:5-6 (NKJV)

  3. and, to prepare you for a greater challenge.

    "So, Jeremiah, if you're worn out in this footrace with men, what makes you think you can race against horses? And if you can't keep your wits during times of calm, what's going to happen when troubles break loose like the Jordan in flood?
    -Jeremiah 12:5 (The Message)
God has promised to satisfy fully the weary soul and replenish faithfully the sorrowful heart.

"For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul." -Jeremiah 31:25 (NKJV)

Sometimes that means,
"He makes me to lie down" -Psalm 23:2. (NKJV)
Thank You, Lord, for slowing me down so I can hear Your voice. Thank You for hard lessons in obedience. I know You only give them because You love me. Amen.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Bless your heart sweetie. Sorry about your foot, ouch. I am praying for you.