Tuesday, May 4, 2010

In Other Words: Simple Faith


“Prayers arising from my needs are preparations for future mercies; Help me to honour thee by believing before I feel, for great is the sin if I make feeling a cause of faith.” from the book “The Valley of Vision” a collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions.
Simple prayers uttered with concrete faith please the Lord. Following the example of King David in Psalm 23 we can see how to voice our faith in expectation of God's action on our behalf.

The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.

1) Acknowledge that God keeps His promises.

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you. ~Deuteronomy 31:6 NKJV
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.

2) Remember the times He has brought peace to you in the past.

I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. ~Psalm 40 NKJV
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.

3) Learn to recognize the character of the Lord as evidenced in your life.

Surely in the Lord I have righteousness and strength. ~Isaiah 45:24b NKJV
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

4) Realize that trials and tests are for molding your life into a reflection of His lovely Son, Jesus Christ.

Blessed is the man who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. ~James 1:12 NKJV
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.

5) Rejoice in the small, everyday blessings that are little touches of grace to be appreciated regardless of circumstances.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. ~James 1:17 NKJV
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.

6) Claim the most important Promise!

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, though he may day, he shall live.
And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?"
She said to Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world." ~John 11:25-27 NKJV
Now pray for those needs, fully knowing that what you receive is His good will!

Karen at In Love W.I.T.H. Jesus is hosting In Other Words.
Visit her to read more and to share your own thoughts on today's quote.

No comments: