Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday: We Were His Cross

And He, bearing His cross, went out to...Golgotha, where they crucified Him. ~ John 19:17-18
John, the beloved disciple, describes Christ's crucifixion in simple, straight-forward terms.

Let's break it down and explore the details:

And He...

Jesus - (Yahweh saves)

And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins. ~ Matthew 1:21

Christ - (the Anointed One)

You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. ~ Matthew 16:16

Son of God -

And when the centurion and those with him, who were guarding Jesus, saw the earthquake and the things that had happened, they feared greatly, saying, "Truly this was the Son of God." ~ Matthew 27:54

~~~~~~~

...bearing His cross...

was spat upon and beaten -

I gave My back to those who struck Me, and My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting. ~ Isaiah 50:6

Then they spat in His face and beat Him; and others struck Him with the palms of their hands. ~ Matthew 26:67

was scourged and disfigured -

So His visage was marred more than any man, and His form more than the sons of men. ~ Isaiah 52:14

So Pilate, wanting to gratify the crowd, released Barabbas to them; and he delivered Jesus, after he had scourged Him, to be crucified. The the soldiers led Him away...they twisted a crown of thorns, put it on His head...then struck Him on the head with a reed and spat upon Him. ~ Mark 15:15-19

~~~~~~~

...where they crucified Him...

died in our place -

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way; and the LORD has laid upon Him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth; He was led as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so He opened not His mouth. ~ Isaiah 53:6-7

And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him...Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." ~ Luke 23:33-34

Now from the sixth hour until the ninth hour there was darkness all over the land. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" ~ Matthew 27:45-46

And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. Then behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, adn the rocks were split. ~ Matthew 27: 50-51

~~~~~~~

WHY HIM?

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. ~ John 3:16

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. ~ 2 Corinthians 5:21

Therefore remember that...at that time you were without Christ...having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For through Him we...have access by one Spirit to the Father. ~ Ephesians 3:11-13, 18

But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. ~ Titus 3:4-7

~~~~~~~

CELEBRATE GOOD FRIDAY!

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. ~ Galatians 2:20

1 comment:

Shelby said...

Oh, Patricia, how this post moved me! I put a couple of these same verses on my blog today because as I was reading through the crucifixion story they really moved me.

It's so hard to imagine how anyone could read the story of Christ and remain an unbeliever.... I pray for them -- particularly as one of my sons is among them.