Tuesday, September 30, 2008

IOW: Active Faith


"If God said that Jonah was swallowed by a whale, then the whale swallowed Jonah, and we do not need a scientist to measure the gullet of a whale."

~A. W. Tozer~






Faith is all about believing. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1 (NKJV)

Popular culture tells us that unless science proves it, a thing (idea, belief) is untrue. The main science building at our local university has these words carved in stone across the entire 4-story front:

Truth is Beauty,
Science is Truth

When I first read that, I batted around in my mind that it was half right. Now I've come to the conclusion that perhaps, using the right perspective, it is entirely right: A Biblical worldview can open our eyes --

Jesus is Truth,
Therefore Truth is Beauty
Honest Scientific study proves Creation
Jesus is Creator
This Science is Truth

But...how much does this kind of proof matter in the whole scheme of things?


Faith pleases God."But without faith it is impossible to please Him" Hebrews 11:6a (NKJV)

My dear husband and I were discussing today's quote over coffee Monday morning. His gifts of wisdom and discernment were evident with his words:

"Our believing in the miracle of the flood shouldn't be dependent
on the ability to fit x-number of animals into the dimensions of the ark."


Faith is an active verb. Belief is not faith, just the seed that grows into it. Without proper care, belief alone leads to death. "Even the demons believe." James 2:19b (NKJV)

In order for belief to become faith, we must get involved our heart, mind, body, and soul:



My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God.
Proverbs 2:1-5 (NIV)


Faith is the real proof and power. "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, 'The just shall live by faith.'" Romans 1:16-17 (NKJV)

As my husband finished his coffee and walked out of the room, he tossed out this tidbit for me to chew on:

In referring to the flood and ark-
"Those are all minor miracles compared to
the omniscience and omnipresence of God.
That He can be everywhere and know everything is mind-boggling."

The psalmist put it in these words:

"Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence
?
If I ascend into heaven, Your are there,
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold You are there,
If I take the wings of morning
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall uphold me
."
Psalm 139:7-10 (NKJV)


One final thought. Since salvation from God is revealed "from faith to faith" - our faith shared with another to bring him or her also to faith, how are you going to exercise your faith this week?







Deborah is hosting In Other Words at her site Chocolate and Coffee. If you want to participate, write a blog about the quote in the box above on your site then click on the link to Deborah's blog and leave your URL in the Mr. Linky box. You will also find links for the other participants' blogs.


10 comments:

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

". . . shouldn't be dependent
on the ability to fit x-number of animals into the dimensions of the ark."

Husband sounds like a scientist! :-) A very wise one!

GREAT insights. I'm going to re-read this. I like it very much. You hit all the right scriptures to make the case for faith.

-esthermay

Karen said...

Faith is the real proof and power. That is such a good statement. Thanks for your insight and input today. I enjoyed reading it. Karen

Laurie Ann said...

I loved your post! And your husbands comment rang so true. Excellent reading this morning!

Miriam Pauline said...

Faith is the bottom line. Everything else is just extra knowledge. Bless you for sharing these truths so beautifully today.

Bonnie W said...

I love kids programming on the radio. For awhile there was a program that pointed out the special minute details of creation
that God had made that allowed certain animals to survive in inhospitable environments. I love learning about how God makes each creature unique.

If only more could understand that "honest scientific study proves Creation!"

Chocolate and Coffee said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings!

Betsy Markman said...

You're so right. People look at these miraculous stories in the Bible and say they could never happen. But anyone who has truly experienced the new birth, who has been brought to life from the dead, can testify that they've experienced a greater miracle than Jonah's swallowing, the Red Sea crossing, and the feeding of the 5,000 combined!

Denise said...

Such a great post sweetie.

Anonymous said...

"My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God."
Proverbs 2:1-5 (NIV)

That really says it all doesn't it? I hadn't seen that verse in a long time, and I'm so glad to see it again, thank you!

Tami said...

Hmm...how am I going to exercise my faith this week? Great question.