Monday, February 8, 2010

Choosing to Be Disciplined Everyday

"The road to life is a disciplined life; ignore correction and you're lost for good." (Proverbs 10:17 MSG)

I am an emotional eater. I am also a bored and thoughtless eater. When I am sad, I choose foods high in carbohydrates like chocolate, potato chips, and ice cream. When I watch TV or need other entertainment, I choose cheese and crackers, popcorn, and more chocolate.

There is nothing wrong with any of these foods in and of themselves. Eaten in small portions once in a while they are fine.

Failing To Be Disciplined

Cold weather and family issues gave me a one-two punch that knocked me right out of my healthy eating program. When I was actively engaged in healthy eating practices, I lost 12 lbs and dropped my cholesterol level 17 points.

My emotional eating for the past few months has made my climb back to fitness into a backward slide down a steep hill. Although I only gained 4 lbs back, I got all 17 cholesterol points back plus 42 more points.

I really had no idea what was going on inside my body. I attributed the slight weight gain to holiday cooking and chose to ignore my niggling conscience when I ate foods that were not part of my diet plan.

Imagine my dismay when I opened my recent blood test results as I walked from the mailbox to my house and read these words: "Cholesterol very high. should start medication. She has been reluctant to do so in the past. Will discuss at her visit in two weeks."

Continue reading at Take Root and Write: Choosing Life Everyday!...>>

No comments: